Who Can Use Legal Aid in Victoria

Since VLA`s resources are limited and the demand for legal services is high, there are rules on who can get legal assistance. Visit the “Find Legal Answers” section of the Victoria Legal Aid website for free information on many common legal issues. Justice Connect`s GDDS provides advice and support to eligible homeowners whose home building disputes have not been resolved with DBDRV. It can help homeowners who do not have access to legal aid and advice from other sources. Visit the Domestic Building Legal Service website for assistance. The Public Defender`s Office advises on disability issues and the Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service provides free legal advice to the Koori community. You can find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria`s Legal Referral Serviceexternal link. All law firms included in the legal referral service offer a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to learn more about the legal issue and discuss the options available and their cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice. Help with your request for legal assistance There are certain issues and areas of law on which VLA does not provide legal advice. These include: Justice Connect provides free legal advice to disadvantaged people and develops programs to meet the legal needs of the homeless, seniors, non-profit organizations and self-advocates. Victoria Legal Aid cannot provide legal advice on commercial or commercial matters, defamation, intellectual property, wage disputes, industrial accidents, wills (deceased estates) or the purchase and sale of real estate.

If you disagree with the decision to provide legal advice to qualify for TRLA`s free legal services, an applicant must meet the income, asset, and immigration requirements set forth by the U.S. Congress, Texas Legislature, and other funding sources. TRLA will always try to find a source of funding that allows for representation for people who cannot afford to pay for a private lawyer. Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) is a government-funded body set up to ensure that people who cannot afford to pay for a private lawyer can get help with their legal problems. Ask a lawyer to take your case and represent you in court. More than 25,000 people receive legal assistance each year. However, you may have the right to go to court to ask for further review. You should seek independent legal advice, as it is only provided within strict deadlines and under certain circumstances. VLA can help people with a range of legal issues, including those related to criminal cases, family separation, domestic violence, mental health and discrimination. There are some things that we do not give legal advice on. We may also provide links, information and references to other organizations.

Legal issues on which we do not provide advice include: Our legal information is available to all Victorians. Unfortunately, other legal services and advice are limited to those who need it most. We follow the guidelines to make our legal aid as fair as possible. By accepting legal assistance, you also agree to the terms and conditions of the grant and any special conditions explained in the letter you receive from VLA. These terms include: Search our website for legal information and your choices. Popular topics include: If you have a legal problem or would like information about the law, Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) – an agency of the ministry – may be able to help. VLA offers free advice on what you need to do to solve your legal problem, although there is no legal advice on every issue. Note that mandatory lawyer service is not available in all courts. Visit the VLA (www.legalaid.vic.gov.au) website to find a mandatory lawyer. Legal Aid BC has increased the amount a person can earn to get legal aid. Legal aid is usually provided for criminal or family cases, but can also be provided in other cases, such as guardianship, violations, immigration, social security, mental health, and discrimination cases.

In order to hire a lawyer for your case, you must be entitled to legal assistance. To decide if you qualify, let`s look: VLA`s Family Dispute Resolution Service (FSR) helps people resolve their family law disputes. Following an assessment, the SRRF may organize a dispute resolution conference to assist disputes where a party has granted legal aid. If you can`t afford a lawyer to do your case, you can ask if Victoria Legal Aid will pay for a lawyer to help you (which requires you to ask for a lawyer). Victoria Legal Aid provides free advice to people with legal problems, with a focus on criminal law, family law and some civil law issues.